Monday, July 02, 2012

...presents Raw New York City: Jovan Johnson

This has possibly been the craziest weekend of my life. I'm still trying to grasp how everything happened in three days. One of the biggest highlights of the weekend, however, was the very end. As I walked into the ACE 14th St. subway by myself I heard some wonderful music coming from... somewhere. I heard this wonderful tone of brass. The music became louder and louder as I ventured deeper into the station. Suddenly I'm staring at a young black man playing the trombone.



He finishes his improvised song and starts a new one. He does some simple beat boxing, puts it on a loop, and creates various other layers with his trombone. I found myself doing exactly what I do at most Post-Rock concerts I attend... I closed my eyes and just listened. I've never imagined myself doing this to a performer in a subway station. But there I was. It was 02:00 so the station was nearly empty. There was no big crowd, he was just playing music for the pure enjoyment of doing so. He had told me that he already reached his tip goal for the day. This both impressed and inspired me. I was in the presence of someone expressing his passion in music in such an unlikely spot during an unlikley time of the day. And I could feel it through his playing. It was then when I realized... I want to do a spin-off video project that will feature NYC street performing musicians that impress me.

So, look forward to some videos on various musicians that roam the streets, parks, and subways in various cities and countries. (There will obviously be more NYC just because I live here now.) I think I shall call this project Raw *city name*.


(Someone seemed to have recorded him that night as well.)

A little update on "The Wandering Musicphile Presents... Our Ceasing Voice," The project has been on hold this week. I've been pretty busy. I am hoping to resume it last week. I'm hoping even more that it will be finished this week too, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment