Saturday, August 13, 2011

Arvo Pärt - Silouans Song



I'm not particularly a fan of the video. I would have preferred some intense scenery or just a still photo. But even so, I would suggest just closing your eyes and listening.

Anyway, sorry for the late update. I arrived back home from Boston a couple days ago, but I have been too destroyed by this song to post anything. Chris (from Caspian) expressed to me his interest in Classical music. Intrigued, especially since I grew up on Classical, I asked him to play some music from his iPod. He introduced me to this piece. On the climax I felt my eyes watering and chills going through my spine. Sometimes I get very emotionally connected with music. I don't often feel sadness when I tear up to music, it's just from the power and intensity of the music tearing is one of the few things that my body knows to express, along with goosebumps.

As soon as I arrived back home I downloaded the album (Te Deum) on iTunes (played by the Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir, Tallin Chamber Orchestra, & Tönu Kaljuste) and played this piece again. I think the combination of listening to this by myself and the mixed emotions of being back home from one of my most amazing trips caused me to receive this piece in a way that completely destroyed me. My heart wrenched, my gut turned, tears were flowing, chills were going through every part of my body. For the next couple days I couldn't listen to music. It was a complete overload.


Because he is a classical composer and there have been a number of amazing orchestras and choirs that have played his music, I'm not going to provide any links. However, as mentioned, the "Estonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir, Tallin Chamber Orchestra, & Tönu Kaljuste" as well as other orchestral and choral renditions are available on iTunes for purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment