Thursday, September 29, 2011

Our Ceasing Voice/Satory split preview


(Original source of embed)

I love these guys. Since I had seen them play in both Budapest and Vienna back in April, we've been in fairly close contact. I consider these guys my Austrian (and Turkish) brothers... sad, sad brothers! But when Sebastian sent me a message saying, "We need your help, we're unsure about the new title," of course, I felt pretty honoured. However, I wasn't quite sure I was the right man for this. After all, it took me two hours to figure up a name for when I signed up for the first message board (heh heh, "message boards," old school) and ended up just using the first ridiculous thing that popped up in my head, "Dude-O-Lob-A-Man." And then it also took me as long to think up a name for my World of Warcraft character (which I no longer play). I'm not creative when it comes to names.

Anyway, Sebastian and I start brainstorming while at the same time expressing how much he dislikes thinking up song titles. He asks me about idioms, that seem to be common in German but not quite as common in American English. And then we just started spouting out different idioms and phrases. "The wish is father to the thought," "The living daylights" (I had to chuckle a little at that one), "Dead Air," etc. Then after a few hours of silence he comes back with five.
-a phantom army marching through the sky
-from deep within
-dreambreaker
-for darkness fears the light
-dead air

"For Darkness Fears The Light" stood out to me. That and Dead Air, I liked that one a lot too. So, it was finally decided! After a painful period of racking our brains thinking what would be a good title, here it is! Yeah, it's not quite as an inspiring story behind the title, but eh, titles are just that... it's the music that really counts.

As for my thoughts about the new song... wow. It's definitely different than the rest of their stuff. Reiny seemed to think it was more ambient but I felt like it was considerably less ambient than songs their previous album. I absolutely love the Spanish-like intro. And the recording seems a bit more unrefined, noticeable to me by the sound of the drums. Come to find out, they didn't record in a studio for these songs, this was at their own places. Reiny's vocals also add a nice subtle note to the music.

And Satory's new song is very strong. Just like OCV's song, this one is also different progression from Satory's previous album. Except this is more refined and tight as compared to their more raw sounds of The Japanese Beast. It definitely has more "post-" aspects.


This split EP releases November 1st!
Preorder the 7" vinyl
http://order.revolvermannrecords.de/

Our Ceasing Voice
[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace] [Website]

Satory
[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace] [Website]

No comments:

Post a Comment