Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Ramblings: Touring with Labirinto

Last year Labirinto had their first US tour. Thinking I may never get another chance to see them again, I went to their nearest show to Oklahoma... Chicago. The venue shafted them with a slot after the headliner at 1am and a short amount of time to play. It was still well worth the drive.

This year they decided to tour the US again, but this time a significantly larger tour. Once Muriel (drummer) told me they wanted to play in Oklahoma I took on the challenge of booking a show. I figured it'd be a difficult challenge but I had no clue how difficult. On top of that, I had a demo reel to compose and a massive two month Europe trip to plan. During this time I get a message from Muriel, "you should come up to Chicago and tour with us!!" I thought for a minute... then booked flights. A few days before my trip to Chicago the Oklahoma show was confirmed with two opening acts, Tele Mori and The Samurai Conquistadors.

The next few days were probably some of the most awesome travelling experiences of my life. The travelling lineup was Muriel (Drums), Erick (Guitar), Hugo (Guitar), Luis (Guitar), and Ricardo (Bass) with Gabe invited to just tag along, just like myself. Since Muriel puts a lot of the managing stress on her shoulders, I figured I'd alleviate a little and do a little co-managing, working the merch table, keeping track of sales, doing a little organizing, etc. Heh, I can't just stand still and do nothing, it's not in my nature.

I don't have much time right now to really describe my experiences. In a week there's just so much to write about. One thing that I do want to write about is their presence. After being on the road with them for almost a week I see this side of them, this goofy, normal side. But once they're up on stage it's like a transformation from these guys I joke around with into Labirinto. Suddenly this massive powerhouse is assaulting my ears with intense, beautiful music. Once they get off the stage after their set, there they are again. It's a beautiful thing, seeing someone as normal as I am producing sounds that consistently blow me away.

I've had some unique experiences through my travels, but I have to say that this one was one of the most amazing ones.


If you're in the US and happen to be anywhere near their stops, go. You will absolutely not regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment