Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Concert Ramblings: The first half of 2011

I've been slacking off on my concert entries mainly because it takes so much time and effort into recollecting all the moments and feelings and writing about it. So, I will summarize my concert experiences of the first half of this year.

Awesome.
The end.



Hah hah, okay, but seriously, this year has been epic so far. I look back and I can hardly believe it myself. I recall back to a comment I made on my last post in 2010, "2010 will be a hard year to top in overall experiences." Well, it has. 2010 cannot even compare to last month (April), not to mention the rest of the year. Here are the more notable bands I've seen.

February
Steve Aoki - Atlanta, GA

March
For A Minor Reflection
Chiaroscuro
Native
Caspian - Athens, GA
Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson
Deadhorse
The Ascent Of Everest - Clarksville, TN
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Athens, GA
Röyksopp - Atlanta, GA

April
KisHerceg
AANDO
Képzelt Város - Budapest, HU
Tapeunderground - Budapest, HU
Coma Stereo
God Is An Astronaut - Ljubljana, SI
marionette ID
God Is An Astronaut - Budapest, HU
Realistic Crew - Budapest, HU
Kokomo
Képzelt Város
Our Ceasing Voice - Budapest, HU
Kanagawa
No Age - Budapest, HU
Our Ceasing Voice - Vienna, AT
the Corny (rehearsal)
Spacesh!t (rehearsal) - Budapest, HU (rehearsal)

May
The Non
Kite Flying Robot - Norman Music Festival, Norman, OK
El Ten Eleven - Denton, TX
The Burning Hotels
This Will Destroy You
Astronautalis - Homegrown Music Festival, Dallas, TX
Errors
Mogwai - Dallas, TX
Moon
The Burning Hotels
The Non
The Pretty Black Chains - Oklahoma City, OK

Planned shows:
June
Labirinto - Chicago, IL
August
God Is An Astronaut - Boston, MA
October
Explosions In The Sky - Oklahoma City, OK


Because of certain circumstances, I decided to do a road trip before my trip to Europe. For the month of March I wanted to meet two friends I hadn't seen in a long time and also go to four concerts. Caspian and GY!BE were the major highlights of that excursion.

The best experiences of the year have been my April in Europe, though. Eight concerts and a rehearsal and numerous other music and travel related experiences have made April so mind-blowingly epic for me. Having the opportunity to see some of my favourite Hungarian bands play was hard to even grasp at first. When I first heard Képzelt Város on last.fm a couple years ago I expressed how much I would love to see them, but I knew they were a very small band and it may be a long, long time until they get the opportunity to tour the US. So while I was standing there in the Szabad az á as they played their music it took me a few seconds to really realize... "I'm watching Képzelt Város... IN BUDAPEST!!!" It was surreal. They finished with D2. I closed my eyes and felt the song just penetrate me. My eyes were flowing with tears, it was just so intense. After the show it had hit me, "this is why I am here... music," and the rest of the trip was filled with it. Then on the last night of my trip before my flight back home I was surprised with a sit-in on a new band rehearsing for their first concert, the Corny. It was the perfect way to end a trip that has been so centred around music.

Then upon arriving back home I realized the Norman Music Festival was going on. I missed the first day because I was too tired from all the flights. But I did get to catch The Non the next day, which I was pleased about. May wasn't nearly as massive as April was, but it definitely wasn't disappointing. Two festivals, an album release party, and two concerts made May a good month.

I never would have imagined I would be able to see so many relatively big artists this year, especially on the magnitude of GY!BE, EITS, Mogwai, AND GIAA... and of course Caspian, but this was my fourth time seeing them.

There are still 7 more months to go in this year... 7 more months to make the year go from unbelievably epic to impossibly epic.


-Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment