Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Glitter Bones - Spell Legend



I started watching Portlandia. One thing that I really fell in love with, among many things about that show, was the intro. I had to know what that song was. So, after a search I came across Washed Out. "What kind of music is this?" Last.fm reveals, "chillwave." "Oooh, I need to feature a chillwave artist for my next blog post." I typically feature artists that have under 10k listeners (with a few exceptions) so I picked a fairly obscure artist on the chillwave list, Moss of Aura, and tuned into his artist radio. A couple hours pass and I'm finding myself falling in love with this genre. It's like a mix between indie, pop, 80s style synth, and ambient. Then Spell Legend came on. "This is it!" I was loving everything I was hearing, but there are always songs that just stand out.

From Chicago... nice. Since I'll be moving to NYC, I'll be visiting Chicago fairly often (cheap flights to and fro). I'll definitely be seeing these guys.

I don't normally create free upload links. However, after talking to them, they didn't mind people downloading their stuff. However, their stuff isn't exactly that easy to google. It didn't take too long, but it did take some time to find it. I found this particular site from RibsOut. (Check out his blog!!) They also have a very limited amount of cassettes and vinyls to purchase.
Buy Amulet Calls cassettes (shipped from Brooklyn, NY)
Buy Returning The Magic vinyls (shipped from Paris, France)
Download both EPs (file sharing)
Listen/Download newer material (Bandcamp)


On another note, I really hate adding more genres to the already long list. A lot of these genres only feature one band. So soon I will be condensing my genre list into various styles and feel of music. No more genre specifics, except for ones that I feature a lot (like post-rock). I want to allow for people to click on a tag and find various sounds that may have some similarities but will ultimately open them to different kinds of music and musicians. It won't be entirely accurate, but this blog is more about music exploration than music accuracy.


[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace]




_______________________________________________________________________________ I will constantly be updating each new post with an anti-SOPA/PIPA post-script (until this gets adequately dealt with) and deleting the post-script of the previous post.

I don't usually follow Maddox' rants but he seems to have the most logical rant about SOPA. I highly suggest reading it. Not only that, he seems to be the only one that is actively attempting to organize a boycott against pro-SOPA companies.

http://maddox.xmission.com/

Someone said this, and it couldn't be more true... ‎"a painless boycott for the participants is painless for the target as well." Don't think that boycotting companies that already don't affect you is going to mean anything. I'm personally voting a boycott to three that affect me the most on that list. And if picked it will suck because I do enjoy the products of those companies, but sometimes creating an impact requires one to give something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment