Saturday, December 25, 2010

Caspian - Moksha



Gather around kids, it's time for a Christmas Story!

On a crisp, sunny weekend a couple years ago, I was hanging out with my good friend, Ben, quaffing some craft beers and grilling obscene amounts of meat, our usual manly routine. He decides to pull out this vinyl and play it. I was expecting some heavy riffs and gutturals (he's a formidable metalhead) but what I first heard was this gentle sound of a piano and a glockenspiel. "Well, this is unexpected," I thought. As the song progressed I was quickly blown away. This was nothing like I had ever heard. There was character, emotion, passion pouring out of those speakers.

Since that day I have been addicted to this completely unknown experimental movement of music, commonly referred to as "post-rock." At the time my only avenue to this genre was through Ben. He opened me up to other artists such as Explosions In The Sky, MONO, This Will Destroy You, Constants, and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. At the time I thought these bands made up the entire genre.

Years later I discover last.fm and realize that these "small-time artists" that I thought were all that "post-rock" had to offer were actually some of the more well-known artists of a quickly expanding experimental movement that includes hundreds and hundreds of artists from all over the world.

What first started as a love-at-first-listen experience has turned into an insatiable desire to open my ears to more and more of these budding experimental rock artists. So, if it weren't for my virgin experience to Caspian's Moksha I wouldn't have eventually fell in love with Képzelt Város, félperc, marionette ID, Our Ceasing Voice, 417.3, EXXASENS, Последние Каникулы, Magna, The Non, Sleep Dealer, Years Of Rice And Salt, and many others.
I also wouldn't have been subjected to the amount of amazing musical experiences this year, such as Do Make Say Think's mind-blowing three-part show, MONO's breathtaking performance, The Non with a 25-piece orchestra, or Magna's unique living room show.
I just listened to music before. Since Caspian, music has been an experience. They set aflame a passion and appreciation for music I didn't have before. Even genres I loved before feel different now... classical, orchestral, jazz, classic rock, etc.


And that's how Moksha saved Christmas.

The end.


And in the spirit of giving, here is a nice compilation of free "post-rock." A week ago I compiled together a bunch of extremely small-time "post-rock" artists I had in my iTunes library. All of these artists have allowed their albums to be downloaded for free via bandcamp, last.fm, or other sources, so none of these are pirated. However, do visit their last.fm, facebook, myspace, and website pages and if you like them, support them. Spread their music, spread the cheer! (And that even sounded cheesy in my head.)

Merry Christmas.


[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace] [Website]
(Albums are for purchase on Bandcamp, iTunes, and their label [The Mylene Sheath].)

No comments:

Post a Comment