Friday, December 31, 2010

Ramblings: Music experiences of 2010

As the clock counts down to 2011 I can't help but reminisce about the moments of 2010. There were so many good memories that I will cherish my entire life. I've experienced so much, loved so much, travelled so much, and listened to so much. I'm not going to bog this post down with all of my experiences of 2010, so I'll focus on how this year has been the best for music for me.

The year started in Los Angeles. My first concert of the year was Do Make Say Think's 3-part show at The Troubadour. "3-part?" you may ask. Ohad Benchetrit's solo project, Years opened. Charles Spearin's The Happiness Project followed. Then they finished as Do Make Say Think. To this day, that was the best, most unique show I have experienced. This was a perfect introduction to 2010.

Other memorable moments:
• Magna's private 2-hour farewell tour before I left Los Angeles.
• Seeing Caspian in Dallas and hosting them at my family's house in Oklahoma City. The group photo with Caspian, mom, dad, and me will always be the coolest band photo ever, to me.
• The Non playing with a 25-piece orchestra at the Norman Music Festival.
• MONO (nothing else needs to be said)

Musical experiences of 2010:
Do Make Say Think
Magna
The Non
The Calm Blue Sea
Arms And Sleepers
Caspian
-Norman Music Festival 3
-Kite Flying Robot
-Jesse Aycock
-Beau Jennings
-Evangelicals
-The Octopus Project
-Post Arcadia
-Pretty Black Chains
-Grupo Phantasma
-Hiphopatomus
-Unwed Sailor
-The Non w/ Cloud Collision Orchestra
Balmorhea
MONO
Jónsi
Blixaboy
TOKiMONSTA
Bonobo
The Appleseed Cast
Tactics
Pompeii
The Eastern Sea
This Will Destroy You

Plans for 2011:
Godspeed You! Black Emperor x2
God Is An Astronaut
Képzelt Város
Our Ceasing Voice
marionette ID
Norman Music Festival 4
Mogwai

2010 will be a hard year to top in overall experiences. But it has some potential to be more musically epic.

As for music discovery, this has been a post-rock year. I realized just how big the post-rock scene is world-wide, albiet very localized. Gradually my interest in post-rock became an obsession when I kept stumbling upon amazing small-time artists like Képzelt Város, Adolf Plays The Jazz, EXIT Project, félperc, Asfandyar Khan, etc. I wanted to find more and more. "Gotta collect them all" mentality. Some of my favourite artists nowadays have ended up being these really small, localized artists that baffle me at how relatively unknown they are.

I was also introduced to a genre that was new to me that I now absolutely love, Trip-Hop.


I look forward to 2011 and what musical experiences it will have to offer.

2 comments:

  1. The search for new post rock bands is never ending! I just want to know about every band out there, I want it all. It's almost a curse, but so awesome at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, yeah, sometimes it's consuming. But hey, I wouldn't have found out about some of these amazing bands and have made some new friends if I wasn't so obsessed. And now I'm excited to meet and see some of my Hungarian friends in marionette ID and Képzelt Város play in Budapest this April!

    ReplyDelete