Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Concerts: The Ascent Of Everest at The Coup in Clarksville, Tennessee (3/14)

First off, I'll start with the venue. The Coup is a nice little place. The ground level portion has a small stage, a bar, some couches, a rigged xbox, and a few tables and chairs. I hear they have great sandwiches, and they have a beer selection that would make everyone satisfied, from the casual Bud drinker to the craft beer enthusiasts (such as myself). It's just a chill hang-out spot.
The basement/garage is where the main stage is. It is completely graffiti'd up and has a skateboard ramp in the corner. It's very "punk," really cool.
Pre-show setup is pretty much nonexistent. No sound checks. Pretty much just go up, plug in, play. There are some adjustments of course, but not quite as meticulous as... say... Troubadour in Los Angeles. That does provide a number of problems, but it also kind of adds to the grittiness and "garage" aspects to this entire venue.
Overall, it's a cool place.

Anyway, on to the bands.

Yeshuá (?)
I'm not entirely sure what the first band's name is. One of them said "Yeshuá," but then another seemed to be uncertain of the name of their group. Either way, they don't have anything out... no bandcamp, no myspace, no facebook, which will just make it challenging for me to follow them. The band consisted of two guitarists and a drummer. I think they all ran The Coup as well, or at least one of them did. Their set was short (just two songs) but strong. They also played with their backs facing the crowd, which I thought was kind of odd.

Deadhorse
A five-piece outfit from Erie, Pennsylvania (two guitars, bass, keyboards, drums). Their set started with a contemporary poet, which was a pretty cool. It reminded me of Unwed Sailor's sets opening with a book reading in last year's Norman Music Festival. These guys rocked hard. They also did one thing that I've always wanted to see done... using a violin or cello bow on a guitar. It was pretty awesome. I personally think this should be done more often.

Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson
A seven-piece from Oslo, Norway (four guitars, bass, cello, drums). I was invited to this show by Anders back when I was working in Macon. I didn't think I'd be able to attend until that job ended a week and a half ago. I'm glad I got to see them. They played a great set. Though, being a seven-piece required a little more time in setting up, and some more equipment, that would have made them sound so much better. The Coup is a great place, but I feel like their limitations didn't bring out Youth Pictures' full sound. But they still sounded great. And the use of an old phone as an additional mic was pretty neat too.
Also, they have, by far, the coolest cd case ever... a small hardback art book.

The Ascent Of Everest
I kind of felt bad for these guys. They weren't able to show up with the entire band, normally an eight-piece. The two guitarists, bassist, and drummer were the only ones that could show up that day. They played only new stuff, which makes sense. The older stuff everyone would be familiar with has a specific sound that only the entire band would be able to make. They had a bit of a rough start, and I could kind of tell they were a little out of their element. They did end their set very, very strong, though. But by the end the venue had cleared. That was a bit disheartening. I have to hand it to them, though, they put everything into it for those that stayed. I hope I can see the entire band play soon.


Pictures.



Deadhorse
[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook]

Youth Pictures Of Florence Henderson
[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace] [Website]

The Ascent Of Everest
[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [Myspace]

No comments:

Post a Comment