Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Concerts: Godspeed You! Black Emperor at 40 Watt in Athens, Georgia (3/22)

I arrive in Athens quite early, four hours before the show started. I pack my obnoxiously large backpack with all of the important stuff, just in case my car gets broken into and start moseying on down to Trapeze to have some Beer Cheddar Soup, which was delicious.
After the meal I thought I'd walk around, probably hit up a coffee shop or two, until I walked past 40 Watt. There was already a line three hours early. Granted, just four people long. That shouldn't have surprised me, it's GY!BE after all. I decided against the coffee shops and casual walk to chill out in line. I find out that the guy ahead of me is also going to see Röyksopp this Thursday. What a coincidence.
One interesting thing happened in line, some bum rapper, with what looked like his assistant or producer or something, started trying to freestyle for tips and claimed to be the one everyone was there to see. He insisted the man ahead of me in line to get a picture with him. He apparently didn't want to waste battery life on a pointless picture.

Anyway, three hours fly by quickly and we start our path to the inner sanctum of the venue. The line split into last names by A-K and L-Z. I get up to the L-Z podium just to find out that I wasn't on the list nor did he have my "will call" ticket. This was the very thing I was afraid of. "I KNEW they didn't get my order... but my account was charged... maybe if I pull out my laptop and show him my bank statement..." Well, come to find out A-K also had some L's, where my envelope apparently was. I walk into the venue shaking from all sorts of emotions from that scare.


Erik Chenaux
He was kind of a "neo-folk" if there is even such a thing. He was very experimental and had a lot of crazy guitar effects. I can't say I liked the songs that had a lot of effects. They were interesting, though. He had a couple that had minimal effects that I actually liked a lot. And he had a song where the lyrics consisted of only beer brewery and brew names. A man that knows is beers and sings about them is A-Okay in my book!


Godspeed You! Black Emperor
They opened with long drone buildup that must have lasted 15 minutes. And then they jammed into their first song. I don't have all of their albums, so I'm not sure what song it was. But it was intense. As the crescendo reached its peak I gripped at my backpack strap and I could feel tears rolling down my cheek. Wow.
They played for 2.5 hours and ended their set with Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada, the entire thing, Moya and Blaise Bailey Finnegan III. Experiencing Moya live was just amazing. Then ending the set with BBF3 was even better. At the end of the song they each walked off through a drone of noise. This show was perfect. The crowd was appeased. No "One More Song!" or "Encore!" just people staring at an empty stage in awe, drone noise blaring.


I walked to my car in muse, attempting to recover from what I had just experienced. Right now, as I write this, I still find it unbelievable.


Pictures

These pictures are poor. I don't know whether I was just in a bad spot or if GY!BE just isn't photogenic. I'm almost always in the same position at every concert, though. I just found this one exceptionally hard to photograph at least mildly decent. However, I did take video. Instead of uploading my backlog of videos before getting to my recent, I'm going to upload GY!BE every other upload starting with my favourite, Moya.



I'll be uploading more in the next couple days, hopefully will catch up before I head off to Hungary.

No comments:

Post a Comment