Friday, July 22, 2011

Glorie - Looking Through The Mirror



Memphis has a soft spot in my heart. It's a very gritty city. It's not pretty, but it has its own charm. Downtown Memphis is great and there is this one hotel my friends and I always go to the roof of and smoke cigars. It has become somewhat of a tradition.

One thing Memphis does very well is food... ribs (Rendezvous), amazing chicken salad sandwiches (Frank's Deli), among many other things. But what I didn't expect to come out of Memphis was Post-Rock. So, when I came across Glorie I was surprised. However, after downloading their album I completely forgot about them for two months. Actually, there were six other artists I had also completely forgot up until now. Anyway, I finally get around to playing Glorie and WOW... just, wow. Glorie brings a sort of Memphis charm to their music by integrating some jazzy and hip-hop aspects to some of the songs. They area also the only other band I know of, apart from Képzelt Város, that features just a cello and no other stringed instrument. Oooooooh, I want to see them live...

[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [Facebook] [SoundCloud]
(Album is available for free on last.fm and Bandcamp.)

No comments:

Post a Comment