Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Mental Architects - Ash On Your Tongue


(The title is incorrect on the youtube video, it is actually Ash On Your Tongue.)

These past few days have been amazing for discoveries. I find out about Thom Piddock's great indie band (Blank Maps), that Memphis now has an amazing post-rock band (Glorie), and that Bulgaria has some great Mathy Post-Rock.

For a long time I used to tease my ex because her country had no Post-Rock band. Even Pakistan had a few but Bulgaria had zero. And while Spain can enjoy their Exxasens, Hungary their Képzelt Város, China their 花伦 (Hua Lun), Russia their My Angel Sleeps On The Other Rail... Bulgaria has Azis. And then last month Mental Architects emerges to grace the world with their first EP. And now the land of chalga has some delicious math/post-rocky goodness. And these guys are good. I've been craving some math rock lately, and this definitely feeds the craving. These guys have that nice unpredictability of math rock with the some great post-rock elements. I will have to thank the Facebook group, New Post Rock, for this discovery.

It was difficult to pick which song to feature today. Usually there is one song that stands out to me in almost every album, or even small EPs. But all four of the songs on these guys' EP are equally good. Time to break out my four sided die as I scrunch up my nose and push on my horned rimmed glasses.


So, tomorrow starts my trip to Boston to see God Is An Astronaut (Aug. 4th) for the third time this year and also hopefully to see Rosetta (Aug. 7th) as well as visit the good guys from Caspian and experience their home town. (Experiencing Marionette ID's home town in Tatabánya, Hungary was quite enthralling, so I thought I'd start doing this a little more.) I'll be travelling by train and packing light, much like my trip to Europe in April. I'll try to update the blog, but I cannot guarantee it. My next update should be August 11th, at the latest.

Take care you music discoverers! See you in a couple weeks!

[Last.fm] [Bandcamp] [SoundCloud] [Facebook] [Myspace] [Website]
(EP is available for purchase on Bandcamp)

No comments:

Post a Comment